Horse Registration and Passports

Registrations, Transfers and all things passport




AQHA UK, Oakridge Arena, Swinderby Road, Collingham, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG23 7NZ

Please be warned that the old Transfer of Ownership Forms that are located in the rear of the passport are out of date and should not be used.

The forms have the old address and charges. Unfortunately, a number of passports and forms have been sent to the old address and this delays the process and increases the loss risk. ALWAYS check the current address on the website before you post. Thank you.

Zootech Forms!

Download your form here for travelling abroad here:

Zootechnic Upgrade





Please note: URGENT:  


Breeders/Stallion owners – for this year we will accept your AQHA Stallion/Breeding reports for registration.  
New forms specifically for AQHA UK will be designed for next year.


Things you need to know – and a more detailed version here: 

New Legislation Briefing Doc July 2018

There are two new pieces of legislation that have an major impact of horse owners , breeders and yard owners. All but one of the sanctions come into place on 1 November 2018. The key points are;

1. Two new additional tools given to enforcement officers
a) Compliance Notices – the offender will be given the opportunity to comply with the regulations . Failure to do so will incur a Compliance Notice Penalty
b) Fixed Penalty Notices – These will be issued in the same way as driving offences. Monetary fines set by Local Authorities. One of the ways these are picked up is through the Central Equine Database and through enforcement officers
The actual monetary penalties are as yet to be determined.

2. BREEDERS – You need to notify AQHAUK that you have bred a foal by 1 October. And, register no later than 30 November.  I will be developing a new form for this and it will be available on the website by the end of September. Failure to notify could / will lead to prosecution and this is picked up through the CED at registration.

3. Transfers of Ownership MUST be completed within 30 days. This is not new but will be pick up through the CED after 1 November and penalty fines issued.

4. Yard owners can also be prosecuted where horses liveried at their yards fail to meet the regulations. So check that owners have a passport and that it is in the name of the person purporting to be the owner!

5. Yard owners can no longer withhold a passport for failure of an owner to pay their bills.

6. Passports will from 1 November be called ID Documents

7. Passport Issuing Organisations will become known as Issuing Bodies.

There are many more regulations that apply to vets and to issuing bodies and thus far it is early days with regards the regulations. I am sure more will follow so we will keep you posted of those that affect you as we become aware.

Horse Owners Legal Responsibility

Horse owners are responsible for keeping the information on the horse passport up to date. It is their legal responsibility to ensure;


Foals are registered within six months of birth or no later that 31st December of the year of birth. Failure to do so will mean that ONLY a duplicate passport can be issued. This means that duplicate is stamped across the pages to prevent and trigger fraud checks and removes the foal from the human food chain.


Transfer of ownership must be notified to the passport issuing organisation (PIO) within 30 days of the sale. Failure to do so can incur a fine of up £2000.


Any changes for example; castration, change of name, replacement transponder, changes in coat colour or outline must be notified and updated in the passport.


If a micro chip has been inserted into a horse that had a passport prior to 2009 or it has been damaged and has been replaced this must become part of the horses identity and must be updated in the horse passport and database.

We will determine the type of passport once we receive your application and associated documentation. If this differs form the application form we will contact you to discuss this. Please make sure your contact details are clear and legible so that we can do this. Thank you.

You can find details of the paperwork, process and payment required for most of the common questions further down this page and all registration and transfer of ownership forms are available on the AQHA UK website here You will also find the AQHA (USA) forms here too.

AQHA-UK will acknowledge receipt of passport application within 15 working days unless we will be returning your passport within that time. We will issue passports within 20 working days unless the appropriate fee is not paid or there are circumstances that prevent us from doing so. For example we have requested better outlines or not all information is available.

AQHA-UK are responsible for making sure that silhouettes and transponders match and are completed correctly and legibly and signed by the vet. If have any concerns we can approach vets to verify this information and cross check on the chip checker.

AQHA-UK is a passport issuing organisation (PIO) and is registered with DEFRA to do so. We can issue 5 types of equine passports. These are described below.

Section I – Purebred Quarter Horses with AQHA Certificate of Registration – Yellow Passport Jacket

Section II – More than 50% Quarter Horse – Green Passport Jacket

Section III – 50% Quarter Horse. One parent must be full quarter horse – Blue Passport Jacket

Appendix – Quarter Horse / Thoroughbred with AQHA papers – Pale Yellow Jacket

Identification (ID) Only. Any non registered horse or pony that requires an equine passport – Red Passport Jacket

Current notifications

That the old transfer of ownership forms (cream coloured paper) that were located in the passport should no longer be used. Please use the downloadable forms on the website as these the most up to date version.



a. If your horse is purebred (Section 1) before you can register with AQHA UK and apply for a passport you must have registered the foal with AQHA , USA who will send you a Certificate of Registration. Once you have this send a copy of the certificate with your registration application.
b. If your horse is part bred section II, III or Appendix you will need to send copies of the parents Certificate of Registration or Wetherby’s paperwork with your registration application.
c. If you are applying for an ID passport (Annex / Section V) no other paperwork is required with the registration application.


Complete a registration form clearly and legibly and ask your vet to complete the outline form including the microchip number.


If you have genetic test results for the horse (or both parents) you also need to send a copy.


Pay the relevant fee. You can pay online via the website or by cheque or BACS. The current fees are noted on the application form.


You can either send your documents electronically via the website registration page or you can mail them to us at our PO Box address below.


Transfer of Ownership

1. If your horse is purebred (Section 1) and currently has an AQHA, USA Certificate of Registration you must transfer ownership to you. The AQHA, USA Transfer form is available on our website. The form should be completed by the seller at the point of sale. For all other sections start at 2.


2. All transfers need to use the AQHA-UK Transfer of Ownership form which should be completed by both you and the seller ideally at the point of sale and signed at the relevant sections.


3. Pay the relevant fee. You can pay online via the website or by cheque. The current fees are noted on the transfer of ownership form.


4. Mail the AQHA-UK transfer of ownership form and passport (and a copy of certificate of registration -section1) to our PO Box address below.

Loss or Stolen Passport

If your passport is lost please notify use as soon as possible.


1. Complete a registration form and ask your vet to complete the outline form including the microchip number.


2. We will also need a covering letter to advise us how the passport was lost or stolen and why you require a duplicate passport.


3. Mail or e-mail the completed registration form, covering letter and copies of any remain paperwork that might help us to identify your horses passport number.


4. Pay the relevant fee. You can pay online via the website, by cheque or BACS. The current fees are noted on the application form.


5. You can either send your documents electronically via the website registration page or you can mail them to us at our PO Box address below.

If a passport is damaged or destroyed

1. Complete a registration form and ask your vet to complete the outline form including the microchip number.


2. We will also need a covering note to advise how the passport has been damaged or destroyed including why a duplicate passport is required.


3. You can pay the relevant fee online via the website, by cheque or BACS. The current fees are noted on the application form.


4. Please mail to us, the remains of the passport and the registration form to our PO Box address below.

If your horse dies

Please return your horses passport to us with a letter confirming that the horse has been put to sleep and the date that it occurred also if you would like the to keep the passport we will return this to you once we have cancelled and recorded this on our database. There is no fee for this.

Castration / Gelding

Return your passport with a covering letter informing us that the horse has been gelded and the date it occurred. We will update the database and stamp the passport and return to you. There is no charge for this service.

All other amendments

It is important to notify us of all changes as these must be amended in your horses passport and on the database. So, please do contact us by email on detailing of any queries and we will try and help you.

Contact details

AQHA UK, Oakridge Arena, Swinderby Road, Collingham, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG23 7NZ


phone: 07544 262747

Frequently asked questions


What’s the difference between AQHA registration and AQHA UK registration?

An AQHA registration is processed by AQHA in America and adds either pure bred or appendix registered horses to the main American Quarter Horse breed registry.
An AQHA UK registration is normally an application for a passport which also adds the horse to the UK only breed registry. This can be done for pure bred, appendix registered or part bred (50% or 50% plus) American Quarter Horses. For the horse to be registered as a pure bred or appendix registered with AQHA UK the AQHA registration needs to be completed with America first.

Can you change both registrations (AQHA and AQHA UK)?

No, the AQHA registration needs to be change/completed directly with AQHA in America. We do not have access to their records to complete these changes.

I’ve had my horse for around 5 years, but never transferred it into my name – I don’t have any transfer forms, and I can’t remember who I bought the horse from – what do I do.

To allow AQHA UK to transfer a passport we require a completed AQHA UK Transfer report signed by the seller. If the horse is a pure bred and also registered with AQHA the transfer needs to be completed with AQHA first and a copy of the transferred certificate included with the AQHA UK transfer. If you do not have the appropriate forms please contact AQHA UK to discuss this as we may be able to help you.

My horse is a purebred Quarter Horse, but I have never been given any AQHA USA Registration papers, what should I do?

The best thing to do in this instance is to contact the previous owner to ask for these. If you are unable to do this then please contact AQHA directly to discuss getting a duplicate AQHA Registration Certificate of Registration. You can find their contact details and downloadable forms on their website

I want to register a foal, it’s pure bred, but I don’t have any paperwork from the breeder, so it’s not registered with America – what can I do bearing in mind I need to have a passport by law by the time the foal is six months?

If you are having problems or delays getting AQHA registration sorted out then we can issue a id only passport without this information and then update the passport to a Section 1 (purebred) passport once this is resolved and a copy of the certificate is sent to us.

I’ve bred a foal, the mare was QH x Welsh, bred back to a full bred QH – does that mean I can have a pure bred passport and registration with AQHA and AQHA UK?

This horse could not be registered with AQHA or AQHA UK as a pure bred. This horse could be registered with AQHA UK as a section 2 (50% plus quarter horse).

I’ve got a thoroughbred mare and I bred her to a QH – is this an appendix, how do I get registered as such?

To enable you to register the foal as an appendix registered Quarter Horse the thoroughbred needs to be registered with Wetherby’s and registered with AQHA as an appendix breeding mare. Once this is completed the horse can also be registered with AQHA UK and issue an appendix registered passport.

My horse is in mainland Europe and has an AQHA UK passport, but I now no longer live there and want to gift the horse to a friend, how do I change the AQHA registration and AQHA UK registration if I don’t have the paperwork and won’t be able to get it for a few months?

To complete the transfer with AQHA and AQHA UK you will need to complete transfer forms. These can be downloaded from AQHA UK website for the passport transfer and for the AQHA Certificate of Registration transfer. You can download these, complete them and then forward them to Europe so these completed forms can be sent off with the appropriate paperwork to be transferred.

I have a QH and I have the certificate of registration (American) but don’t have anything else, you say I need a signed American transfer form, how do I get that?

The transfer of the AQHA Certificate of Registration needs to be completed via AQHA in America. To complete this an AQHA Transfer Report signed by the seller is required. The form can be downloaded from and will need to be signed by the seller and returned to AQHA in America with the original Certificate of Registration.

I have a passport, but no signed transfer form, and the name in the passport isn’t the name of the person I bought the horse from, what do I do?

Please contact AQHA UK with the details of the horse so that we can look into this as we may need to contact the previous registered owner to try to get the appropriate paperwork to transfer the passport into your name.

What is the procedure when I buy an American QH what paperwork should the seller give me?

When you buy an American Quarter Horse the seller should give you the horse passport and the relevant signed transfer form to allow the passport to be transferred in to your name. If the horse is also registered with AQHA in America the seller should also give you the original AQHA Certificate of Registration. Alongside this you should be a given an AQHA Transfer Report signed by the seller, this should be sent to AQHA in America alongside the original Certificate of Registration.

What happens if I don’t transfer the AQHA UK passport into my name? Why should I?

It is a legal requirement for the passport to be transferred into a new owners name with 30 days.

Why do I need to send you the passport to transfer it, can’t I just send you a copy?

To enable the passport to be transferred we need to update a section of the original passport so that this is correctly recorded. Therefore we need the original passport to be sent to allow this to be done. As long as the relevant documents are included with the passport the transfer will be completed and the passport returned as soon as possible.